The CBH Weekly eNews Update – May 9th
The CBH Office will be closed on Wednesday, May 15th and Thursday, May 16th in observance of Shavuot. The office will reopen with its regular hours on May 17th, Friday at 9 AM.
Services this week
Friday, May 10th
- 6th Grade Shabbat/Dalet Graduation - 6:00 PM, Social Hall
- Kabbalat Shabbat - 6:00 PM, Sanctuary
- Torah Study - 9 AM, Library
- Shabbat Service - 10 AM, Sanctuary
- Kiddish Luncheon celebrating the baby naming of Elise Daisy (Aliza Shachar) Goldman-Mohl following services (more info below.)
- For complete information regarding special Shavuot services please visit the CBH website: http://bethaverim.wordpress.com/welcome/religious-services/shavuot-observances-at-cbh/
I would like to invite everyone in the community to join us for a very special Shabbat service on Friday, May 31 at 8 pm when we will welcome Eve Decker, a wonderful leader of sacred music, and the cantorial soloist at Bet Haim in Danville, CA. Eve has long been a professional musician, and a dharma teacher leading retreats throughout North America.This promises to be a joy-filled Shabbat experience with a lot of beautiful music, singing and a lively spirit to refresh your soul at the end of the week.
- Israel Matters Committee
- In Memory of Malca Haberman, Alexander and Marilyn Groth
- In Memory of George Rooks II, Alexander and Marilyn Groth
- May 6th, David Shpak
“I will be called to the Torah as a Bat Mitzvah on May 25, and for my mitzvah project I am collecting books for young children for the Yolo County Children’s Alliance. I will be collecting books for the next month and will be distributing the books to families when I go to help distribute fresh food in West Sacramento with the Children’s Alliance. If you would like to donate any new or gently used children’s books there is a bin in the Bet Haverim office. We can also arrange to pick up books if you email my mom, Jackie, at email@example.com. Thank you” – Akiva Axelrad-Hausman
San Francisco Giants’ Jewish Heritage Night, only 28 tickets left!!
- Tuesday August 6th, CBH is going out to the ballgame at AT&T Park.
- Be a part of Bet Haverim’s new summertime tradition and receive a special edition Giants’-themed Jewish Heritage item! Seats are reserved together in the View Reserve Section to watch as the World Champion Giants’ take on the Milwaukee Brewers at 7:15 PM. Pre-game entertainment for our group begins at 5 PM.
- Tickets are just $27/each. Carpooling from CBH will be organized as the date approaches. Please contact the CBH office NOW to reserve your seats, they are going FAST! Pay via check to CBH or by phone, 530.758.0842, with Visa or MasterCard. Children and youth 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult, supervision is not provided. For more information about the activity, please contact Joy Cohan at 383-1814 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lost and Found
- Have you left a sweatshirt, a cap, sun-glasses at CBH? The Lost and Found boxes are in the office and will be there through Sunday May 19th (majority of the items are children’s clothing). Please come in and go through it. Unclaimed items will be donated on June 1st.
May 10th, Friday, 6 PM, Shabbat Singers
To everything, (turn, turn, turn); There is a season, (turn, turn, turn)And a time for every purpose under Heaven.
- Monday, May 20: 6 to 7:30 PM – Legislators’ Reception
- Tuesday, May 21: 9:30 AM to 4 PM – Program & Legislative Appointments
Registration is $95. Please mail a check made out to JPAC to:
6505 Wilshire Blvd, 11th Floor Los Angeles, CA 90048 Attn: Katie Beyers
YOUR VOICE MATTERS! REGISTER TODAY!
- Visit http://www.jpac-cal.org for more information and to register online.
- Questions? Contact Julie Zeisler, JPAC Association Director at Julie@jpac-cal.org
May 27, 2013, Monday, 10 AM, Jewish Memorial Day Commemoration
Home of Peace Cemetery, 6200 Stockton Blvd., Sacramento
Annual event honoring Jewish veterans. Program includes area rabbis, River City Concert Band, Attention to Colors, ROTC Drill Team, Choirs from Congregation B’nai Israel and Congregation Beth Shalom, and special readings. Sponsored by Lombard & Company Funeral Directors and The Jewish Federation of the Sacramento Region. For more information, contact Elissa Provance at email@example.com or 916-486-0906 ext. 304.
May 29, 6:30 PM, Dr. Andy David, Consul-General of Israel, Israel Matters Committee, Social Hall, Congregation Bet Haverim
Come to a dynamic update about the current situation in Israel. Consul-General David will discuss the challenges and opportunities facing Israel including those concerning Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, and the Palestinians. For further information, contact George Rooks, firstname.lastname@example.org or 530.756.0986.
May 31st, Friday, 8 PM, Special Shabbat, Sanctuary
CBH will welcome Eve Decker, a wonderful leader of sacred music, and the cantorial soloist at Bet Haim in Danville, California. Eve has long been a professional musician, and a dharma teacher leading retreats throughout North America. This promises to be a joy-filled Shabbat experience with a lot of beautiful music, singing and a lively spirit to refresh your soul at the end of the week.
June 1st, Saturday, 10 AM – 2:30 PM, Social Action Shabbat: Marriage Equality
Please join the Social Action Committee for a special Saturday morning service followed by lunch and a panel discussion focused on marriage equality for gays and lesbians. During services, a guest speaker will discuss marriage equality from the Jewish perspective and the panel will address other faiths’ perspectives as well as the legal and personal impacts of marriage inequality for families. Lunch will be free of charge. Details regarding the speaker and panel participants will be provided soon.
June 2nd, Sunday, 5 PM, Le Bistro Cabaret
Please come and join your CBH partners and local public officials for an evening of great dining, schmoozing and entertainment as we watch the sun set from the CBH Redwood Grove, starting at 5 PM. Enjoy an open wine bar, appetizers and buffet dinner, catered by Dos Coyotes Border Cafe followed by very special desserts. Entertainment will be provided by Lucy’s Bones, The Spokes and The Noah Wolfe Trio. There will be a silent auction as well as a high point of the evening, the unveiling of the “50 Years of Memories” display. If you have not received your invitation in the mail, please click on the link below, print out the RSVP and send it back to the CBH office by May 22nd with your payment. We hope to see you there.
Oneg Shabbat Program…….the Oneg is a social gathering which takes place following the Friday evening service.
There are two open dates before summer, June 7th at 6:30 PM and June 28th at 8:00 PM
If you’ve been thinking about hosting an Oneg Shabbat, but have not called Merry Draffan, Committee of One, please call or e-mail. The Onegs have been very easy to host, and everyone who attends is enjoying good food and a friendly gathering. You can participate as an individual or as a group. This is a nice way to show your appreciation for having Rabbi Greg and CBH in your lives, or to celebrate a friend or family member. Contact Merry Draffan 530-564-4566 email@example.com
- May Oneg Shabbat Hosts: May 17th and 24th - Bar/Bat Mitzvah Families; May 31st – The Jewish Karate group….Karatims!!
- June Oneg Shabbat Hosts: June 14th – Adult B’nai Mitzvah Class; June 21st – Nancy Lazurus’ Haverah
For more information about how to do this, you can call Teri at 759-8159 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Read the eNews in full on the web – http://bethaverim.wordpress.com/welcome/news/
Items for the e-news must be submitted by Monday prior to publication.
The e-news is published on Thursdays. Items for inclusion in the e-news should be reminders about approved CBH programs and events, group or committee meeting notices, the religious school and/or youth groups, ritual information (such as information about holiday or Shabbat events or service times), items from CBH clergy, and news about member lifecycle events (B’nai Mitzvahs, births, marriages, deaths.) Items from Hillel, the Sacramento Jewish Federation and the URJ may also be included. Items may be edited for length, must include contact information, and might not be run every week from submission to the time of the event. No item will be included more than four weeks prior to the event/meeting date (exceptions may be made for CBH fundraisers.)