Our History (Then and Now)
From its early beginnings in the 1950′s when a small group of Jewish friends first met together in Davis, Congregation Bet Haverim has reflected a spirit of community, diversity and opportunity.
The growth of the Sacramento region has been reflected in our Congregation. In the first years, members welcomed Shabbat in each others’ homes and held High Holy Day services in rented facilities. The focus was on joining together to celebrate the major holidays and life cycle events, to study together and augment Jewish learning.
In 1961, the Congregation incorporated as The Jewish Fellowship of Davis. The continued spirit of commitment led to the construction of a permanent home at 1821 Oak Avenue in 1972, employment of a full-time rabbi in 1983, affiliation with the Union for Reform Judaism (formerly UAHC) in 1986,and the adoption of the name Bet Haverim. Subsequently, due to the growth of our congregation, we moved in early 2004 to our current location at 1715 Anderson Road.
Involvement in congregational life is multi-faceted, including the partnership of members in achieving common goals. Numerous committees, such as Adult Education, Membership, Ritual, Religious School, Social Action and many others offer opportunities to work together and to enhance Jewish life, which in turn helps to create lasting bonds among congregants.
Dues are based on a fair share concept. No one is turned away because of financial challenges. Everyone is welcome at Bet Haverim.