Israel Matters Committee
STEAC Food Drive
The Israel Matters Committee would like to thank all of our fellow congregants who helped make our second annual Chanukah to Passover food drive for STEAC (the Short Term Emergency Action Committee) such a success. All told you donated just over 600 pounds of food for the needy people of Yolo County–especially the children who comprise the greatest number of the homeless in our area. Of course, just because our food drive has finished does not mean that you should stop giving or volunteering. To donate food or time, you can contact STEAC at 530-758-8435 or drop by the STEAC office at 1900 East Eighth St. Again, a heartfelt thank you to all of you who helped out from the Israel Matters Committee.
Israel Independence Celebration
All 45 members of the Israel Matters Committee would like to thank all of you who came to our Israel Independence Celebration. We counted one of our largest crowds ever at well over 300, a huge number of whom were children. There are many people who helped make it such a success. In particular we would like to thank Rabbi Greg, Malka at the Religious School, Sharon of the Young Families group, Moreen Libet and her fantastic Klezmers, and Emily Ireland our marvelous face painter. A very special thanks goes to Sabrina for organizing the Israelis to serve the falafels and bring some of the salads. The large Israeli presence at the event was wonderful. We would also like to hank Jasbir and his wife, Jasmine, for helping set up and take down the tables and chairs. Thanks again to everyone–we are already looking forward to next year!
The Israel Matters Committee currently consists of more than 40 members who share a passion for Israel. We provide and sponsor programming both within CBH and our regional community, and have internal “movie nights” at which we socialize and watch Israeli movies. To be on our mailing list or to inquire about joining our committee, please contact George Rooks at email@example.com.
Israel Matters Mission Statement
The mission of Israel Matters, the only Israel committee of Congregation Bet Haverim, is to raise awareness about the Jewish homeland and Zionism through educational programs, cultural activities, cooperation with other Jewish institutions in the region including Hillel at Davis and Sacramento, and the involvement of local and visiting Israelis in our programs.
Israel Matters Goals:
1. Proactively support the security and well-being of Israel as a sovereign Jewish nation and actively oppose efforts to de-legitimize Israel.
2. Expose anti-Semitism that frequently masquerades as anti-Zionism.
3. Bring to light the double standards that are uniquely employed against Israel as it attempts to defend its citizens.
4. Provide our fellow congregants timely information about events taking place in Israel and information about how they can support Israel.
5. Increase knowledge about external and internal Israeli issues and discuss Israel’s position in the world.
6. Provide information about Israel’s numerous contributions to the arts and sciences in such fields as alternative energy, medicine, literature, agriculture, music, and technology.
Israel Matters Position on Internal Israeli Politics:
As a group, we do not take positions on internal Israeli politics. Our common interest is to provide historical perspective and accurate information about current events.
Israel Matters Plan of Action:
We accomplish these goals by inviting speakers on a wide variety of Israel-related topics, sponsoring social and cultural events, and disseminating pertinent information about Israel. Our programs include films, panels, entertainment, and other events.
Israel Matters Programming for September 2012- June 2013.
- (October) Co-sponsor of Israel Table at International House Diversity Day
- (November) The History of Jews in Medicine, Mark Belafsky
- (December-March) The Annual IM Chanukah-Passover Food Drive for Yolo County STEAC
- (January) An Overview of the Communities of Judea and Samaria, George Rooks
- (January) The November War with Hamas From Our Perspective in Ashdod, Hila and George Rooks
- (February) Christians United For Israel, Randy Neal
- (February) Co-sponsor of Israeli Soldiers Speak on UC-Davis campus
- (April 14th) Accomplices: Churchill, Roosevelt, and the Holocaust, Alex Groth
- (April 21st) Our Huge Annual Israel Independence Day Celebration with Free BBQ, Falafels, cotton candy, face painting, and klezmer music
- (May 5th) The History of Jews in Gaza, Daniel Khazzoom (Rescheduled for 2013-2014)
- (May 29th) An Update on Israel, Israel Consul-General Andy David
Our newest project is a fund-raising drive to help build a new bomb shelter for those in southern Israel who are constantly under missile attack by Palestinian Hamas Gaza.